The Packaging Specialist will be responsible for overseeing and coordination of Retail/AFH packaging concepts and securing packaging sample approvals during the process. In addition, to design, test, and implement packaging design specifications is an integral part of the company’s Product Development process. This individual develops, designs, and tests standards and guidelines to develop packaging solutions for the company’s products. Also, review and improve existing packaging designs, and work with internal and external resources and multiple departments to achieve functional packaging goals.
- Participate in the complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions
- Analyze engineering drawings and product/packaging specifications to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, and material types required for packaging
- Work closely with Engineering to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements
- Work with manufacturing department to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability
- Mark up, paste, and assemble final layouts to prepare printer layouts
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Confer with engineering, marketing, procurement, quality control or production departments, or with customers, to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, operations, and sourcing
- Recommend specific efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications
Knowledge/skills/ abilities desired:
- A bachelor’s degree and/or a minimum of 2 years of experience in retail product/packaging development, industrial or consumer packaging; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities of a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of packaging design
- Knowledge of TOPS is a plus
- Demonstrable intermediate level in Adobe Illustrator
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of reading, legible writing, and basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and written with customers, management, and coworkers
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to understand when to contact manager to receive guidance on making judgments.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with superiors, fellow employees, vendors, and the general public